Thursday, August 17, 2006

Summer 2006

As the first day of school approaches, I remember being in elementary school and the echo of the teacher asking "What did you do on your summer vacation?" In our best cursive, we would write descriptive words that attempted to capture the summer's excitement onto one piece of newsprint paper. I found it nearly impossible to do so, but some how I was able to vaguely recreate the summer for the teacher. Now, as a college student, I have graduated from triple lined newsprint to high speed internet and digital photography as my tools to recreate my summer for you.

In May, school books were closed and the last of my exams were turned in. My friends packed there bags and traveled to exotic lands, whereas I packed my bags and moved across town into my new apartment. It is the first time since I was 13 that I have my own room so the excitement is quite overwhelming. During our move, a dear friend of mine, Amy, came to visit me from England. I was so happy to have to her here and to show her my home. We ran in the Bay to Breakers, visited Stinson Beach, saw outstanding movies and explored San Francisco. Amy come back and visit soon! You are always welcome!


Brianna and I at the Bay to Breakers

Soon after our move, Marina and I jumped on our bicycles and headed to Los Angeles on the AIDS/Life Cycle 5 ride. We rode over hills, through valleys, and along the ocean for 585 miles before we reached the great city of Los Angeles. The AIDS/LifeCycle raised over 8 million dollars to end the AIDS epidemic. For all of you cyclists out there, please join us next year to continue to fight AIDS. I am hoping to be a trip leader next year and will help you get in shape for a ride that will change your life. I have done over a dozen charity rides and the AIDS/LifeCycle is by far the most professional and most safe ride I have ever been on.



After the ride, I headed directly to spend a month in Yosemite, training as an EMT. We had simulated rescues and clinical shifts in Fresno. We learned how to splint arms, deliver babies, treat hypothermia, perform CPR, and many other necessary skills for Emergency Medical Response.


Acting as a patient with a broken femur. OUCH!!


Pulling Jason out of the water.


Rescuing Alex from the Merced River.

Being a hero didn't end at EMT School. The annual Girl Weekend took place at the infamous Pismo Beach house, as 14 super women of all ages learned to fly by running and jumping off of the sand doons. Thanks to the Radmacher Girls, we had a splendid time! I would love to share more, but it's all top-secret.



With my newly discovered super powers, I thought it would be fitting to try a marathon this year. I will be running in the October 22nd, Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco. Cheer me on!

This blog stuff, is kind of fun :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment